NLS Cohorts (Active)
- The NLSY97 Cohort is a longitudinal project that follows the lives of a sample of American youth born between 1980-84; 8,984 respondents were ages 12-17 when first interviewed in 1997. This ongoing cohort has been surveyed 18 times to date and is now interviewed biennially. Data are now available from Round 1 (1997-98) to Round 18 (2017-18).
- The NLSY79 Cohort is a longitudinal project that follows the lives of a sample of American youth born between 1957-64. The cohort originally included 12,686 respondents ages 14-22 when first interviewed in 1979; after two subsamples were dropped, 9,964 respondents remain in the eligible samples. Data are now available from Round 1 (1979 survey year) to Round 27 (2016 survey year).
- The NLSY79 Child and Young Adult cohort is a longitudinal project that follows the biological children of the women in the NLSY79. As of 2016, more than 10,000 children have been interviewed in at least one survey round. To date, a total of 11,530 children have been identified as born to interviewed NLSY79 mothers. Data are now available from 1986 to 2016, representing 16 survey rounds for the child sample and 12 for young adults in that time span.
NLS Original Cohorts (Discontinued)
- The National Longitudinal Survey of Mature and Young Women, a two-cohort survey, is part of the NLS Original Cohort project. The Mature Women's cohort includes 5,083 women who were ages 30-44 when first interviewed in 1967, while the Young Women's cohort includes 5,159 women who were ages 14-24 when first interviewed in 1968. Data for both cohorts are available through 2003, when active surveying was discontinued.
- The National Longitudinal Survey of Older and Young Men, a two-cohort survey, is part of the NLS Original Cohort project. The Older Men's cohort includes 5,020 men ages 45-59 in 1966, with data available through the 1990 survey year, the final year the Older Men were interviewed. The Young Men's cohort includes 5,225 men who were ages 14-24 when first interviewed in 1966, with data available through 1981, when active surveying was discontinued.
Table 1. The NLS: Cohorts, Sample Sizes, Interview Years Status
|Cohort||Age Cohort||Birth Year Cohort||Initial Sample Size||Initial/Latest Survey Year||# of Surveys to Date||Survey Status|
|12-16 (as of 12/31/96)||1980-84||8984||1997/2017||18||Continuing|
|14-21 (as of 12/31/78)||1957-1964||12686||1979/2016||27||Continuing|
NLSY79 Young Adults
|15 & older||1994/2016||12||Continuing|
|14-24 (as of 12/31/67)||1943-53||5159||1968/2003||22||Ended|
|30-44 (as of 3/31/67)||4/1/22-3/31/37||5083||1967/2003||21||Ended|
|14-24 (as of 3/31/66)||4/1/41-3/31/52||5225||1966/1981||12||Ended|
|45-59 (as of 3/31/66)||4/1/06-3/31/21||5020||1966/1990||13||Ended|
Last Modified Date: May 7, 2020