Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Compensation costs in private industry averaged $37.24 per hour worked in September 2021

December 27, 2021

Employer costs for employee compensation for private industry workers averaged $37.24 per hour worked in September 2021. Wages and salaries averaged $26.36 per hour worked and accounted for 70.8 percent of these costs. Benefit costs averaged $10.88 and accounted for the remaining 29.2 percent. In the utilities industry, total compensation costs averaged $69.20 per hour worked in September; benefits averaged $26.57 per hour worked in the industry.

Private industry employer costs per hour worked for employee compensation by industry, September 2021
Industry Total compensation Wages and salaries Benefits

All workers

$37.24 $26.36 $10.88


41.40 28.95 12.45

Educational services

50.27 36.44 13.83

Financial activities

54.04 36.73 17.30

Healthcare and social assistance

37.09 26.10 10.99


58.89 39.34 19.56

Leisure and hospitality

16.91 13.66 3.25


41.25 27.44 13.81


30.77 22.91 7.86

Professional and business services

45.36 32.66 12.70

Retail trade

22.51 17.19 5.32

Transportation and warehousing

40.77 26.97 13.80


69.20 42.63 26.57

Wholesale trade

42.92 30.52 12.40

Total employer compensation costs in leisure and hospitality averaged $16.91 per hour worked in September. Benefits accounted for $3.25 or 19.2 percent of this total.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — September 2021." We also have more charts on employer costs for employee compensation.


Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Compensation costs in private industry averaged $37.24 per hour worked in September 2021 at (visited May 28, 2024).

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics